Keto Diet 5 Top Tips

Keto Diet - 5 Top Tips
5 top tips for success on the keto diet
I’m not one to shout about my ongoing weight loss issues. Suffice to say,
I am very over-weight.
I’ve tried every diet under the sun over the years and even tried the Keto diet (Ketogenic Diet) once before, with no success.
I am currently giving it my second go and with a lot more information
available now onine, it has been much easier.
I have lost about 100 lbs in just over a year, which is my best dieting
success for, well... ever.
And given that I have tried and failed on the diet before, I think I might be
able to give some Top Tips to get it working for you.

Keto Diet – The Basics

There are loads of good blogs about the Keto diet, that explain things in a
lot of detail. But the basics of the diet are, that you cut your Carbohydrate
intake as low as possible and keep your fat intake up.
I’m aiming for less than 25g of carbs per day which is not that hard once
you get into it. Basically, you can say goodbye to normal bread, pasta, rice,
chips and sweet fruit.
The idea, which is working for me, is that your body, deprived of the easy
fuel of carbs, starts to burn off fat instead. This is the “Ketogenic State”.
Sounds like a doddle, but getting it working can be tricky and keeping it
going can be even trickier.
So here are my 5 Top Tips for Keto diet-ers:

1. The “Keto Flu”


Keto Flu – when you first cut out the carbs your body goes into a bit of a sugar
withdrawal. It is a bit like having a bad cold and can last a few days.

You might feel run-down, achey and just generally a bit weird.
if you “fall off the wagon” at any time and binge on carbs, then you have
to go through it again.
So, my top Tip is to try and see it as a positive thing. Don’t worry about it
or let it put you off.
It means your diet is working and you are about to start losing weight.
Just power through it.

2. Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil – this is much talked about. It’s basically 99% fat and I think its pretty
tasteless. But for me it has been vital.
One of the key things about the Keto diet is not just cutting carbs but
keeping your fat intake well above your protein intake. As much as you
can.
This isn’t as easy as it sounds. Meat, cheese, fish and eggs are staples of
the diet, but all have a lot of protein.
Solution – cook everything in Coconut Oil. Some Keto dieters even add it
to coffee. It bumps up your fat versus protein big time.
This not only helps you lose that weight but also keeps you feeling fuller
for longer. Result!

3. Ground Flaxseed

Flaxseed (linseed) – One of the potential problems with the Keto diet is not getting
enough fibre. Lots of fruit and vegetables have quite a bit of carbs and
cereal is right out.
A lot of keto dieters recommend Avocados, but I don’t like them very
much.
So, I ended up with the dreaded Keto Constipation after a few weeks. I’m
sure you are glad to know that :)
Get some ground flaxseed (or linseeds as they are also known) and put a
tablespoon a day into your diet.
It is packed full of fibre and you’ll be regular again in no time. You can
add it to just about anything too.
It’s also chock full of Omega oils apparently, so it’s good for the heart too.

4. Try Keto Recipes

keto diet recipes
Try Recipes – I am not much of a cook. Unless you count making a Pot Noodle as
cooking.
But on this diet, I have tried a few Keto bread and Keto pizza recipes.
Even with my novice skills I was able to make something close to bread
and have a bacon sandwich. Magic.
You will have to buy some weird ingredients like Psyllium Husks and
Xylitol, but you can get them from health food stores or from Amazon.
There are loads of great recipes out there. Some have pretty good results
but don’t expect miracles.
These guys have a Keto Diet Meal plan on a subscription service to give
you greater variety.

5. Pork Scratchings

Pork Scratchings – OK this may just be me.
I was really missing something to snack on and I’m not that fond of just
eating cheese on its own, which a lot of Keto dieters do.
What I really wanted was a packet of something. Most nuts are ok (not
dry roasted) but I wanted something savoury.
Enter Pork Scratchings. High fat, high protein and nearly zero carbs.
I always have a bag around. You just need to watch your teeth as some of
them are more like Pork Rocks than Pork Scratchings. Also, don’t just eat
them and nothing else as the protein is higher than the fat.
keto diet plan course

Summary

So that’s my Keto Diet top tips.
I realise now that my last attempt at Keto failed because I wasn’t eating
enough fat v protein and I felt that things like the Keto flu and Keto
constipation were signs that the diet wasn’t healthy.
I also found it a very boring diet, to be honest.
But with the above Tips I can keep my fat intake up, navigate any small
discomforts and also vary the diet a bit using some of the available recipes.
Honestly, one year in I can see more health benefits than just weight loss,
and I can imagine staying on this diet for the long-term.
I hope you find this article useful and it helps you power on with your
Keto diet. Please use our links if you want to buy anything as it supports
the site.

See our Facebook page for more articles.

Best of luck.

Comments

Popular Posts